The Dead Bait Trolling Keel is a great piece of kit from Australia that’s ideal for slow trolling big dead baits. Over there they troll the Keel rig for Spanish mackerel, Giant trevally, mahi mahi and other inshore gamefish but we reckon that they’ll work great here in the UK trolling for thresher and porbeagle sharks. These chromed Trolling keels are 3 1/2″ (90 mm) long and weigh 4 1/2 Ounces (110 Grams) and will enable you to slow troll big baits such as Mackerel, coalfish or pollack which all feature on a UK shark’s menu! The Aussies like to rig these with two or three “Gang” hooks as they’re intending to keep any of their target species for eating. For UK shark fishing we suggest a single 8/0 – 10/0 hook such as a Maruto 1920S 2X Strong O’Shaughnessy or a Mustad 7754D Bay King hook. We supply the Dead Bait Trolling keel without hooks so that you can choose a hook to suit your own preferred set up.
Note: Dead Bait Trolling Keel is supplied without hooks
- Check the pictures showing the Trolling keel used to rig a bonito for King mackerel trolling in Australia
- First rig the Keel with your choice of hook rig. For UK shark fishing we suggest a single 8/0 – 10/0 hook such as a Maruto 1920S 2X Strong O’Shaughnessy or a Mustad 7754D Bay King hook.
- Line up the bait so the head is in the centre of the Keel. Note where hook are to be inserted into bait and insert hook into bait. Then line up the two head spikes and pierce as straight as possible upwards through middle of head. Some anglers like to shorten the head spikes before using the Trolling keel.
- Use two small elastic bands or cable ties to hold the head against the Keel, lock the elastics in behind the mouth hinge and flare the gills over the edges of the Keel. Place bait into water with motor just in gear to check that it is swimming straight and make any adjustments if necessary.
- Once bait is swimming straight, put bait 15-20 Metres behind boat in prop wash and slow troll bait with motor just in gear.
Steve Porter (verified owner) –
Benito Pacheco (verified owner) –
Very good and expeditious service